[Rd] 'CanMakeUseOf' field

friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 30 13:53:18 CEST 2006

>> [...]
>>
>>> This doesn't address the problem of someone who hasn't got the package
>>> installed yet, though perhaps CRAN could put a version of that man page
>>> (or all of them) online for browsing.  Unfortunately this hasn't
>>> happened yet, but maybe we'll get to it before 2.5.0.
>>
>> The help pages are available on CRAN in PDF format, if there are strong
>> preferences to also get the HTML version online that should not be a
>> major
>> problem.
>
> Just to clarify: "this hasn't happened yet" was meant to apply to the
> earlier part of my message, the changes necessary to make the package
> man page easier to maintain.

Sure, that is how I read it (sorry for not deleting your last sentence in
my reply). The question remains wether we should put HTML pages of all
package help pages on CRAN? Kurt builds them anyway when checking the
packages, so it is mostly a matter of copying them into the HTTP tree and
some linking.

Why we did not do it so far is that it really increases the size of
mirrors a lot, as those files would not be compressed (nd there are heaps
of them).

Best,
Fritz