[Rd] "Enhances" (Was: 'CanMakeUseOf' field)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 30 14:19:42 CEST 2006

On 30 August 2006 at 14:04, friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
| Debian has Depends/Recommends/Suggests and after 10 years of using Debian
| I would still have to got to the Debian guidelines to learn what the exact
| difference between the latter two is. There certainly is a distinction,

It's all defined somewhere, but I by and large second the sentiment.

Now, while we're at it, Debian also has a field called "Enhances:" and IIRC
it provides a means to communicate a relationship 'the other way'.  Ie a
package foo, rather than being 'pulled in' by a package bar via a Depends,
makes itself available to bar.   That is useful as you can enhance the
'graph' structure without a change in the other package.  Maybe that would be
of use for R too?

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison