[Rd] 'CanMakeUseOf' field

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Aug 31 12:41:33 CEST 2006

On 8/31/2006 3:40 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Seth> Kurt Hornik <Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at> writes:
>     >> An internal environment variable called
>     >>
>     >> _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_
>     >>
>     >> which controls this has been in place for quite some time now.  One can
>     >> trivially add a Perl R CMD check configure variable for it.  I am a bit
>     >> hesitant to add a --force-suggests cola to R CMD check, as this
>     >> hardwires a legacy dependency model which may not be up to future needs.
>     >>
>     >> As an aside, I have never understood whe developers have need for such
>     >> an option (as I would have assumed that they'd typically try to check
>     >> all of their code).
>
>     Seth> This is not an aside, but the heart of the issue IMHO :-)
>
>     Seth> One case in which checking Suggests does not make sense is when a
>     Seth> package provides optional functionality that is platform specific.  A
>     Seth> given Suggests entry may only be available on platform A, but it still
>     Seth> is desirable to check the package on platform B.  Similar issues can
>     Seth> arise during development when a given Suggests entry stops working
>     Seth> with R-devel.
>
>     Seth> Further, if an item in Suggests means it is optional, then one
>     Seth> _should_ test that by testing the package without the optional packge
>     Seth> being available.  There are a few ways for a true dependency to sneak
>     Seth> into the code.  So I agree that typically developers want to test all
>     Seth> of their code, but that implies being able to check a package without
>     Seth> its Suggests being available (I realize this may be hard to implement,
>     Seth> but easily having R CMD check ignore Suggests is a good start).
>
>     Seth> And lastly, Suggests is currently used to list packages used for
>     Seth> extended examples in package vignettes and being able to easily
>     Seth> perform all other checks makes sense to me.
>
> Very good points, thanks.
> I think it's clear that some R developers see a clear need for
> this and their (our) output would be enhanced by such a very
> small addition --- it would probably only be a small addition
> addition to the "Writing R Extension" manual for the moment.
>
> I don't understand why some developers have such a resistance
> to allow one other such keyword.

My objection is that adding a keyword that people don't understand will
lead to inconsistent use and confusion.  It will make "Writing R
Extensions" harder to read, and packages harder to write.

I could be wrong that your proposal is one that won't be understood.
Could you post a proposed revision to the docs that describes it?

Duncan Murdoch