[Rd] R-Project logo in SVG format

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Aug 31 17:55:38 CEST 2006

friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> After you created one and submitted it to us probably at the same place as
> the bitmaps. In the meantime it will have to suffice that you use all we
> have, and that are the bitmaps (the logo was done by a volunteer who chose
> to use a bitmapped graphics program). It is not like we keep the good
> stuff back on purpose ...

  It does look like it would be near-impossible to parameterise the logo
efficiently into a vector format - all that shading and 3-d effect
stuff. The largest PNG file there is 1450x1100 pixels which at 300 dpi
gives you a 4-inch logo. Although looking at it full-size on my monitor
reveals some artifacts in the 3-d shading...

  Do any other materials exist for making the logo? A description of the
fonts used, a 3-d model R and O-shape, a layered PSD or XCF file, or a
Gimp/Photoshop macro set for getting that effect? I dont believe this
was painted pixel-by-pixel...

  When was the last time the mailing list had a 'need a new logo' thread?

Barry