[Rd] A possible improvement to apropos

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 14 09:45:30 CET 2006

Hi Seth,

    Seth> Hello all, I've had the following apropos alternative
    Seth> in my ~/.Rprofile for some time, and have found it
    Seth> more useful than the current version.  Basically, my
    Seth> version ignores case when searching.

    Seth> If others find this useful, perhaps apropos could be
    Seth> suitably patched (and I'd be willing to create such a
    Seth> patch).

Could you live with typing 'i=T' (i.e.  ignore.case=TRUE)?

In principle, I'd like to keep the default  as ignore.case=FALSE,
since we'd really should teach the users that R
*is* case sensitive.
Ignoring case is the exception in the S/R/C world, not the rule

I have a patch ready which implements your suggestion
(but not quite with the code below), but as said, not as
default.

Martin