[Rd] Phonetic symbols (IPA) in R graphics

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 14 20:34:01 CET 2006

Hi

Giampiero Salvi wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> I tried the following from your slides, perhaps you can see the
> error:
>
> 1) I downloaded the fonts and the encoding file into the directories
>    Type1 and encodings (in my current directory)
> 2) I ran R from the same directory (ver 2.4.0)
> 3) I added the font mapping for the pdf and postscript devices:
>
> ipa <- Type1Font("InternationalPhoneticAlphabet",
>                  c("Type1/tipa10.afm",
>                    "Type1/tipabx10.afm",
>                    "Type1/tipasi10.afm",
>                    "Type1/tipabx10.afm"),
>                  "encodings/silipa.enc")
> pdfFonts(ipa=ipa)
> postscriptFonts(ipa=ipa)
>
> 4) I created a simple figure:
>
> plot(10,10,type="n")
> text(10,10,"whatever",family="InternationalPhoneticAlphabet")
>
> Here I get 13 warnings of the type:
> "font family not found in X11 font database"
> As far as I understand this is because I defined the fonts only for
> the postscript and pdf devices.

Exactly.  The process would be simpler if you drew directly to
PostScript or PDF via postscript() or pdf().

Also, the text() call should be ...

text(10,10,"whatever",family="ipa")

> 5) I copy the device to postscript:
>
> dev.copy2eps(file="whatever.eps")
>
> Here I get the real problem:
> Error in dev.copy(file = "whatever.eps", device = function (file =
> ifelse(onefile,  :
>         invalid character sent to 'PostScriptCIDMetricInfo' in a
> single-byte locale
>
> I googled for PostScriptCIDMetricInfo but only found a few pages in
> Japanese, can you help me?

I'm not sure how you got there.  You've specified the family wrong so I
would expect more "family not found" warnings.  Let me know if this
persists with the correct family specified.

Paul

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland