[Rd] Phonetic symbols (IPA) in R graphics

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 18 14:27:35 CET 2006

Hi,
I am not familiar with how R deals with postscript fonts, but
I am fairly familiar with some font technology, so here are a few
random thoughts:
(1) You are not supposed to specify just any random font family string
- postscript type 1 fonts contain their own family name inside.
(read the top of the font file - the header is is plain ascii). If it
works with a random font family name, it is probably because R does not
check (?).
(2) if you are using symbol fonts, some of X11 funtionality may depend
on your locale - the warning message on PostscriptCIDMetricIndfo
did say something about you using a one-byte locale - LANG=en_US.iso88591 .
(3) There are various ways to add fonts to the X server - for new
linux systems you are just copy them into ${HOME}/.fonts (don't know if
R can use fonts via xft), for older linux boxes, you can do
"xset fp+ <fontdir>", after running mkfontdir in that directory
beforehand.