[Rd] jpeg() and png() in R-2.4.x (PR#9423)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 08:56:08 CET 2006

The file INSTALL says

   The main source of information on installation is the `R Installation
   and Administration Manual', an HTML copy of which is available as file
   `doc/html/R-admin.html'.  Please read that before installing R.  But
   if you are impatient, read on but please refer to the manual to
   resolve any problems.  (If you obtained R using Subversion, the manual
   is at doc/manual/R-admin.texi.)

I suspect this was an installation problem, in which case it is covered in
that manual.  Configure reports on the capabilities it found, e.g.

   Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
   External libraries:        readline
   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
   Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, Java

and you have not told us what your build reported.

An alternative is covered by ?capabilities

      X11: (Unix)  Are the 'X11' graphics device and the X11-based data
           editor available?  This loads the X11 module if not already
           loaded, and checks that the default display can be contacted
           unless a 'X11' device has already been used.

which if false will imply that jpeg and png are not available (but tcltk
could be).

You need to demonstrate that this really is a bug in R and not a
mis-report using scarce resources (R-core time).  (The R build not
magically finding missing components of your OS is not a bug.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk