[Rd] substitute creates an object which prints incorrectly (PR#9427)

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sat Dec 23 23:13:47 CET 2006

Bill.Venables at csiro.au (i.e. I) wrote:

> 3. Modify substitute() so that it strips source attributes (or
anything
> else apparently visible that it will not manipulate) from objects.
> Sorry folks, too dangerous.  (I concede this appears to be a bit of an
> overkill, too.)

Peter Dalgaard responded:

Actually, this is the easier fix to my mind. Where do you see the
danger?

To which I reply:

Well, if it's feasible, I'd recommend this as the way to go.  My
detached
phrase "Sorry folks, too dangerous" was simply my wondering how we might

field the inevitable howls of protest when people find that something
has
changed.  I know people will notice since this is a glych I spotted when

trying to debug someone else's code, but that person, at least, will
applaud I'm sure.

In short, I don't think there are any real dangers.  I just thought it
would slow things down too much, but perhaps not.

Bill Venables.