[Rd] FW: Passing lists from R to C, extracting elements, and sending lists back again

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 25 04:52:49 CET 2006

> I have data that is stored in R lists.  I would like to pass the list to
> C code using the .Call function, perform mathematical operations on the
> elements of the lists (which might be other lists), and return results
> in a new list.
>
> As a simple example, suppose I have a list of n matrices (dimension
> k-by-k) that I want to invert, and return the result in another list.
> I wrote the C code below that reads the list as a SEXP.  Then, for each
> of the i=1..n matrices, I convert the R vector to a gsl matrix, perform
> the linear algebra operations and populate the new list with the
> inverted matrix.
>
> The problem is that I can't figure out the best way to get the real
> elements into the list SEXP to return it to R.  When I run the code
> below, the compiler (R CMD SHLIB sexp1.c) gives me:
>
> -bash-3.00$ R CMD SHLIB sexp1.c
> gcc -I/usr/lib64/R/include -I/usr/lib64/R/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include   -fpic  -O2 -g -c sexp1.c -o sexp1.o
> sexp1.c: In function `invMatList':
> sexp1.c:37: warning: passing arg 3 of `SET_VECTOR_ELT' from incompatible pointer type gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -o sexp1.so sexp1.o -L/usr/lib64 -lgsl -lgslcblas -L/usr/lib  -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR

<snip>
> 	SEXP r = PROTECT(allocVector(VECSXP,n));
> 	double rm[k][k];

This allocates memory for one k x k C array wherever C allocates temporary
storage. You need to allocate n vectors of length k*k on the R heap to
create a list of n matrices in R.   So you need to use allocVector(k*k,
REALSXP) to allocate space for each element of the list, inside the loop,
and then copy the data into that rather than into rm.

SET_VECTOR_ELT is giving a warning about incompatible pointer types, but
the more important issue is that you need to return pointers to n
different blocks of memory that are not going to go away after your
function finishes.

 	-thomas