[Rd] SaveImage, LazyLoad, S4 and all that {was "install.R ... files"}

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 11:28:48 CET 2006

The short answer is that there are no known (i.e. documented) differences,
and no examples on CRAN which do not work with lazy-loading (except party,
which loads the saved image in a test).  And that includes examples of
packages which share S4 classes.  But my question was to tease things like
this out.

You do need either SaveImage or LazyLoad in a package that defines S4
classes and methods, since SetClass etc break the `rules' for R files in
packages in `Writing R Extensions'.

When I have time I will take a closer look at this example.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk