[Rd] match gets confused by S4 objects

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 7 14:07:57 CET 2006

    BDR> An S4 object is just a list with attributes, so a
    BDR> vector type.  match() works with all vector types
    BDR> including lists, as you found out (or could have read).

yes, the internal representation of S4 objects is such -- seen
from a non-S4 perspective.

    BDR> If in the future those proposing it do re-implement an
    BDR> S4 object as an new SEXP then this will change, but for
    BDR> now the cost of detecting objects which might have an
    BDR> S4 class defined somewhere is just too high (and would
    BDR> fall on those who do not use S4 classes).

Just for further explanation, put into other words and a
slightly changed point of view:

Yes, many R functions get confused by S4 objects,
most notably,  c()  (!)

 - because they only look at the "internal representation"

 - and because it's expensive to always ``look twice'';
   particularly from the internal C code.
   There's a relatively simple check from R code which we've
   using for str() :

   >> if(has.class <- !is.null(cl <- attr(object, "class"))) { # S3 or S4 class
   >>    ## FIXME: a kludge
   >>    S4 <- !is.null(attr(cl, "package")) || cl == "classRepresentation"
   >>    ## better, but needs 'methods':   length(methods::getSlots(cl)) > 0
   >> }

   which --- when only testing for S4-presence --- you could collapse to

      if(!is.null(cl <- attr(object, "class")) &&
	 (!is.null(attr(cl, "package")) ||
	  cl == "classRepresentation"))     {

	  ...have.S4.object...

      }

  but note the comment  >>>>   ## FIXME: a kludge   <<<

The solution has been agreed to be changing the internal
representation of S4 objects making them a new SEXP (basic R
"type"); and as Brian alludes to, the problem is that those in
R-core that want to and are able to do this didn't have the time
for that till now.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich