[Rd] [R] readline detection problems

Benjamin Otto b.otto at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Feb 9 13:45:17 CET 2006

Dear Mr. Ripley, Mr. Leung, Mrs. Hawkins,

many thanks for the intensive help you provided me concerning the readline
problem although I should have looked in the installation manual more
thoroughly. It turned out as you already suspected that the problem with
getting the configure script detecting the new readline library could be
easily solved by setting the CFLGAS. In fact, setting the CPPFLGAS and
LDFLAGS alone results in detection of the header files but not the library
files.

On the other hand setting the CFLAGS alone seems to be enough for the
detection of both library and header files thus solving the problem without
necessity of the previous two flags. However that seems to apply only for
the configure script. Under native conditions with the flags set the make
command fails in locating the -lreadline flag during compilation. I suppose
that should be solved with linking the library via ldconfig in a personal
local cache file. I'm working on that.

regards,
Benjamin Otto