[Rd] Computing means, variances and sums

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 19 21:13:36 CET 2006

As I have said before on R-help, it is _already_ fixed in this (and
related cases) and the reasons it is fixed were explained here.  If you
read carefully, you will have noticed that some platforms (such as Sparc)
only use 53 bits (+ a guard bit).

Not that I accept that the 53-bit calculation is `nonsense', or anything
close to it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk