[Rd] R CMD config --cppflags buglet

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 20 17:31:46 CET 2006

Dirk,

On Feb 20, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> As you asked, the two failure were gnomeGUI which has a hardcoded
> $R_HOME/include which could get fixed, and JGR which isn't even on
> CRAN....

Thanks for pointing this out. JGR is a completely different beast and
unfortunately it has to hard-code things, because it is not started
via R CMD, so it doesn't know the right paths. For non-framework
unix, however, we can do better, because JRI now uses autoconf, so it
can pull the paths from R at configure time.  I'll fix JRI
correspondingly.

> JGR also calls out to /usr/lib/R/share/sh/help-links.sh which is
> probably not a good idea given that we have that in /usr/share/R/
> share/sh/help-links.sh instead.  Given the trouble we had in Debian
> from calling its sibbling /usr/share/R/share/perl/build-help.pl, I
> put in a kludge for that, but maybe we should work how JGR can get
> this functionality via actually exported calls (as you rightly told
> me that never that /usr/share/R/share/perl/build-help.pl was not
> meant to be called directly).

Another hack I suspect, but I'll have to ask Markus about this one.

Thanks,
Simon