[Rd] Links to non-vignette documentation

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:23:59 CET 2006

> I think you need to define `vignette'.  I understand the usage to mean an
> Sweave file.  There are ways to include other PDF files, and you can write
> your own index file.  R can't do that for you as it cannot read PDF (it
> can read Sweave).

How can I write an index file with a pointer to my pdf?  Should I
provide a code snippet to run system(paste(getOption("pdfviewer"),
system.file("doc/my.pdf", package="mypackage"), "&"))?

Perhaps my problem is thinking of a vignette as a "A brief verbal
description of a person, place, etc.; a short descriptive or evocative
episode in a play, etc." rather than a Sweave document.

> I am not aware of any other sort of `package help index', although one
> could arge the toss about Compiled HTML.

What about (eg.) help(package=grid)?  This is where vignettes are
listed by name (and location).  I would like to be able put my pdf
into a similar list.

Hadley