[Rd] Utilizing the internet module

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Feb 24 17:05:00 CET 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Jeffrey Horner wrote:
[...]
>> On a related note, how do I serialize() an R object to a database
>> table column of type BLOB? I've tried using RODBC but was
>> unsuccessfully (see R-sig-DB in Feb archive). I've also looked into
>> RMySQL/DBI but I don't think it's supported yet.
>

> Since BLOB is not a standard SQL type (AFAIK), ODBC seems not to support
> it.

It's not standard, per se, but many ODBC drivers and many databases
(Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, Postgresql, Access, ...) support such a
type. In fact, the structured query language standards SQL92 and SQL99
define the type BIT and BIT VARYING to hold arbitrary bit strings, which
I think is some sort of endorsement for this type.

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University