[Rd] Links to non-vignette documentation

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 25 09:34:47 CET 2006

G'day all,

    >> There aren't any immediate plans to change help(package=XXX), but I
    >> think in the long run, if package?XXX receives wider support than it has
    >> now, it would make sense to make that change.
    HW> When was this form of package documentation created?
Well, the section in "Writing R extensions" on "Documenting packages"
appeared first in the version for R 2.2.0.  My impression is that this
form of package documentation was created in response to the following
discussion:
        http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/05/06/index.html#1141
In particular, look at message :
        http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/05/06/1161.html
in that thread.

    HW> How are users supposed to know it exists?
By asking questions (or following the discussions) on r-help and r-devel? ;-))

More seriously, as Duncan pointed out in his reply, this is a
relatively new feature and few packages support it.  But I guess
sooner or later this feature will be advertised more widely, if only
because of it being again and again mentioned in discussions on r-help
and r-devel.

Cheers,

        Berwin