[Rd] xy.coords

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jan 3 01:29:15 CET 2006

On 12/31/2005 4:09 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On 12/31/05, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
>
>>On 12/31/2005 3:26 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>>>I think this is just playng with words.
>>
>>I'm starting to be convinced of that by the fact that you haven't posted
>>any sample code where using a single parameter would be desirable.
>

> Loose coupling is a general principle that should be followed as a matter
> of course and does not need case by case justification.  If there were
> a performance issue, say, one might justify circumventing
> otherwise desirable principles but there is no conflicting tradeoff here.

Generally I agree, but I've just committed the doc change only, for
these reasons:

  - xy.coords is likely to be used by high-level plot functions that
have  inputs like plot.default; if they follow its pattern closely, then
they'll never need a one-parameter call.  This will encourage consistency.

  - the interface to those functions has been unchanged for years, and I
don't like changing old interfaces without strong reasons.

This was really a borderline case, but the fact that I couldn't think of
a situation where it would be good to use a one parameter call to
xy.coords tipped the balance in my mind.

Duncan Murdoch