[Rd] Issue with c++ .C call

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 11 12:37:30 CET 2006

On 1/10/06 6:50 PM, "Thomas Lumley" <tlumley at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Sean Davis wrote:
>

>> Thanks, Thomas.  That did fix the initialization issue (or apparent one).
>> Unfortunately, the reason that I started debugging was for segmentation
>> faults, which have not gone away.  However, it now looks like the problem is
>> internal to the C++ code and not with the way the arguments were being
>> passed.
>
> If you can get access to a Linux machine then it's worth trying Valgrind,
> which is very helpful for this sort of thing.

I'm going to improve my access, just for this sort of thing.

The problem turned out to be a commented out line in the original C++ code
that wasn't manifesting itself all the time in the standalone code, but was
under R.  So, while the error was hard to find, it was easy to fix.

Thanks to Thomas, Robert Gentleman, Dominick Samperi, and Brian Ripley for
their patient help.

Sean