[Rd] follow-up on qr.coef bug (PR#8478)

sims@Princeton.EDU sims at Princeton.EDU
Thu Jan 12 16:45:20 CET 2006

--------------090308090600080800090200

The bug I submitted yesterday (It's not entered in the bug data base, so
I have no ID for it) included a suggested fix that
is not correct.  It worked for the examples I gave because there was no
pivoting in fact, or only pivot permutations that were
idempotent.   A correction that works in general on the examples I gave
makes these two changes in qr.coef():

        ## coef[qr$pivot, ] <- .Call("qr_coef_cmplx", qr, y, PACKAGE =
"base")[1:p]
        coef[qr$pivot,] <- .Call("qr_coef_cmplx", qr, y, PACKAGE =
"base")[1:p,]

        ##coef[qr$pivot,] <- .Call("qr_coef_real", qr, y, PACKAGE =
"base")[1:p]
        coef[qr$pivot,] <- .Call("qr_coef_real", qr, y, PACKAGE =
"base")[1:p,]

I'm not sure why the [1:p,] on the right is needed.  For my examples, it
works without this extraction operation, but maybe there is some case in
which the output of qr_coef_real or qr_coef_cmplx could have more than p
rows.

--------------090308090600080800090200

begin:vcard
fn:Chris Sims
n:Sims;Chris
org:Princeton University;Department of Economics
adr:;;Fisher Hall;Princeton;NJ;08544-1021;USA
email;internet:sims at princeton.edu
tel;work:609 258 4033
tel;fax:609 258 6419
x-mozilla-html:FALSE