[Rd] help.start() and Debian packaging (PR#8483)

greg.kochanski@phonetics.oxford.ac.uk greg.kochanski at phonetics.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 10:31:31 CET 2006

While I agree with you, I find that the Debian packager does not.
I already reported the problem to Debian, and they said that
enough people want light-weight installations that they will
continue splitting R into several parts.
The package maintainer is  Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>,
and the relevant bug report is 348051.

His response was this:
| > Ok, that confirms that all you need to do is to install r-doc-html.
No bug,
| > it is designed this way.

Consequently, I can only appeal to your humanity and
to good programming practice.

It is good programming practice to protect the user from
his/her own mistakes, even if those mistakes are made
easier/encouraged by Debian.   It is also good programming
practice to provide appropriate error messages when something
goes wrong, even if it "shouldn't" ever go wrong.

So, yeah, you can make an argument that you don't have to
do it, but R will be a better piece of software if you make
the change.