[Rd] Provide both shlib and standard versions of R?

Bo Peng ben.bob at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:35:15 CET 2006

> Why guess?  There are accurate statements in the R-admin manual,

I read the manual 2 years ago, and the info I got was still correct.

> and the RH RPM change was discussed on this list in 2006:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2006-January/036118.html

I simply do not know RPMs have been built with this option on, and
there is no definite place/word I can be assured about this.

> No, for the reasons given in the R-admin manual.

Even the reason I gave in my first email was not up to date (most
binary distributions are compiled with this option), my suggest is
still valid: why not provide two binaries? Most users can use standard
R without sacrificing performance  and embedding applications use
libR.so and, if needed, a separate binary R_embed.

Cheers,
Bo