[Rd] Minumum memory requirements to run R.

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Sat Jan 21 04:27:45 CET 2006

From: Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> > Quite a while back we set the goal of running R in 16Mb
> RAM, as people (I
> > think Kjetil) had teaching labs that small.
>
> It's a while since I actually har R used on such small
> machines, I think
> 64 MB is quite acceptable now.
>
> Kjetil
>

> > Since then R has grown, and we has recently started to
> optimize R for
> > speed rather than size.  I recently tested R-devel on my
> ancient Win98
> > notebook with 64Mb RAM -- it ran but startup was rather
> slow on what I
> > think is a 233MHz processor and very slow disc.
> >
> > R still runs in 16Mb, but that is getting tight.  Does
> anyone have any
> > need to run on a smaller machine than my 64Mb notebook?

I sure don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days someone
figures out how to get R to run on a video card...  (I recall that there was
a tutorial session at some datamining conference last year that showed
people how to use the GPU for numerical computation, so this may not be too
far fetched.)

Andy