[Rd] --gui=Tk window does not stretch (PR#8520)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jan 24 01:26:21 CET 2006

greg.kochanski at phon.ox.ac.uk writes:

> When you grab the corner of the Tk-R (R's console) window,
> the window stretches, but the useable area does not.
> It remains firmly fixed at the (rather small) value of
> 24 lines.
>
> In fact, you end up with a grey border  of wasted pixels
> around the active white area that contains the text.
>
> (And, please don't tell me that it's not a bug because
> it's been that way for 15 years, or because the S
> documentation states that the terminal window is
> 24 lines high.   That would shatter my dreams
> and illusions.)

It's not a bug, it's an unimplemented feature...

As you're bound to discover, the Tk console is mainly a
proof-of-concept with shortcomings in many other areas as well. It's
been largely undeveloped (as has the Gnome GUI) because we had very
little feedback to indicate that people were actually interested in
getting it to work better. Patches might be considered.

The particular issue is just a matter of sending suitable options to
the Tk geometry manager. This can be fixed in the console.tcl script,
and in fact also from within the running GUI using

with(.GUIenv, tkpack("configure", Term, expand=TRUE, fill="both"))