[Rd] Mosaicplot coloring (PR#8537)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Jan 30 12:26:37 CET 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Greg Kochanski wrote:

> The bug is that the software produces results that could
> lead to the wrong conclusion in a research paper,
> or could lead the readers of the research paper to
> an erroneous belief.  That sounds like a
> relevant definition of a bug to me.

Maybe. However, it seems to be a bug in the way you interpret mosaic
displays, not in the way they are implemented/documented in R.

As I said before: This is a known issue with mosaic displays which is not
so hard to find out if you consult the references given in ?mosaiplot.

Another solution to your problem might be to use association plots
(assoplot() is referred to in ?mosaicplot, assoc() is again a more
flexible implementation in "vcd").

> > For an enhanced implementation of mosaic plots written in the grid
> > graphics system, see the package "vcd" and the functions mosaic() and
> > strucplot(). See the package vignettes for details on control of the
> > graphical appearance and also for combining shading and significance
> > testing. To overcome the problem of small cells, another approach is to
> > plot expected instead of observed frequencies.
>
> You shouldn't be telling this to me,

? If you don't want feedback, don't write to the lists.

> you should be putting it in the documentation where

Note that I'm neither the author of the mosaicplot() function nor
its manual page.

> it might help more than one person.
> Putting a "see also" note in help(mosaicplot) that points
> to the "vcd" package, and "mosaic" and "strucplot" functions
> might be a solution to the problem.

vcd is `only' a contributed package on CRAN, hence not referred to from
base packages.