[Rd] [R] help with read.table() function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Jan 30 15:58:23 CET 2006

On 1/30/2006 4:16 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Duncan> On 1/29/2006 1:29 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>     >> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> I would argue against this.
>     >>>
>     >>> If this were the default, that is requiring user
>     >>> interaction, it would break a fair amount of code that I
>     >>> (and I am sure a lot of others have) where automation is
>     >>> critical.
>
>     >>  I don't see how.  The current default is
>     >>
>     >>> read.table()
>     >> Error in read.table() : argument "file" is missing, with
>     >> no default
>     >>
>     >> so the only change is that the default might do something
>     >> useful.
>     >>
>     >> Nor do I see the change would help, as the same people
>     >> would still use a character string for 'file' and not
>     >> omit the argument.  (It seems very unlikely that they
>     >> would read any documentation that suggested things had
>     >> changed.)
>
>     Duncan> No, but people teaching new users (or answering
>     Duncan> R-help questions) would have a simpler answer: just
>     Duncan> use read.table().
>
> but I am not sure that people teaching R should advocate such a
> read.table;
> I they did, the new R users would get the concept that this is
> the way how to use R.

I'd say "a way to use R", and I think teachers *should* present such a
use.  It insulates users from uninteresting details, just as now it's
probably good to advocate using file.choose() rather than explaining
paths and escape characters before beginners can do anything with data.
Later on they'll need to learn those things, but not from the beginning.

> I still think R should eventually be used for "Programming with Data"
> rather than a GUI for ``clicking results together''.
> Hence users should be taught (in the 2nd or 3rd part, not the
> 1st one of their introduction to R)
> to work with R scripts, writing functions etc.

Right, I agree here too.  This would soften the shock of the 1st
introduction, but as soon as the students are ready to look at functions
and understand default parameters, they'd be able to see that the
default value for the "file" argument is file.choose().   They might
become curious about it and call it by itself and discover that it is
possible to program GUI elements (assuming that file.choose() calls one).

> And similar to Marc, I would never want default behavior to
> start up a GUI elements: It is also much more error-prone; just
> consider the  "choose CRAN mirror" GUI that we had recently
> introduced, and the many questions and "bug" reports it produced.
>
> I know that I am biased in my views here;
> but I strongly advocate the  "useRs becoming programmeRs" theme
> and hence rather keep R consistent as a programming language,
> partly agreeing with Gabor here.

I think I disagree with you because I think GUI programming is
programming.  I don't want beginners to think that there are two kinds
of programs:  command-line programs that they can write, and GUI
programs that only Microsoft can write.  I want them to think that
programming is programming.  Doing complex things is harder than doing
easy things, but it's not qualitatively different.

Duncan Murdoch