[Rd] What about a bib file

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 31 15:38:28 CET 2006

    Vince> Romain Francois suggests that a central bibliographic database
    Vince> (possibly in bibtex format) might be useful for reference inclusion
    Vince> in R package man pages.  This has been discussed by a small
    Vince> group, with one proposal presented for a package-specific bibtex database
    Vince> placed in a dedicated package subdirectory.  Man page references would
    Vince> then cite the sources enumerated in the database using their bibtex
    Vince> tags.  This approach could encourage better annotation and should
    Vince> confer greater accuracy on package:literature referencing.

a very good idea!
I've wished more than once that we had something like that in
place...

My intermediate workaround has been the following, e.g., in
package 'cluster', in man/fanny.Rd,  I have
   \seealso{
     \code{\link{agnes}} for background and references;
   }

and then no \references{.} in the fanny.Rd file;  but this
workaround is not very satisfactory,
and I am looking forward to your proposals.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich