[Rd] Package Unit Testing

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 3 09:13:46 CEST 2006

    miguel> Hello, Do we have like an official unit testing
    miguel> framework for packages? Like we do R CMD check, and
    miguel> say the scripts in <pkg>/test are executed?

yes.  Just it's  "./tests",  not './test'.

More specifically, all ./tests/*.R are executed and for those
foobar.R for which there's a  foobar.Rout.save  file,
the output is (R CMD Rdiff)ed agains the result of running foobar.R

All this should be pretty obvious from the manual
"Writing R Extensions".
What was it in there that was not clear enough?

    miguel> Or do we roll out our own outside the package?

Some people use the 'RUnit' package in addition or -- unfortunately --
alternatively to the "official" testing procedures via the
"./tests" directory.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich