[Rd] options("quit.with.no.save"), and Windows installer changes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 5 12:38:39 CEST 2006

On 7/5/2006 4:16 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> Philippe Grosjean wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Related to Windows installer changes (requests), would it be possible to
>> specify whether RGui is installed to run in MDI or SDI mode at start? It
>> is as simple as adding a 'Run RGui in SDI mode' option in InnoSetup that
>> installs a <Rdir>/etc/Rconsole file containing 'MDI = no' when the
>> option is checked.
>>
>> Explanation: MDI mode is an old-style and it is less in use now (most
>> recent multidocuments programs offer either navigation with tabs, and/or
>> SDI mode to manipulate multiple documents; even Microsoft that used the
>> MDI style in all its applications is now moving to SDI with Word, Excel,
>> ...). Regarding R, the MDI-style in RGui is problematic, or at least
>> suboptimal, with many GUIs under Windows.
>>
>> Currently, new users that are told to switch to "SDI style in RGui" are
>> very intimidated by the procedure: (1) what is SDI versus MDI?, (2) they
>> have to open the 'RGui preference' dialog box, make the changes, save
>> the file in a particular location, (3) ignore the intimidating warning
>> that appears, (4) close RGui and restart it. All this is very, very
>> unfriendly for a very first approach to R... and I see it on the face of
>> my students!
>>
>> With the option in InnoSetup installer, everything would be much
>> smoother to get RGui in SDI mode from start.
>

> Yes, that is exactly what Duncan already did!
>
>  From CHANGES:
>
> "The installer can set defaults for MDI/SDI display, help style, and
> default action on q().  Custom builds of R can change these defaults."

Yes, indeed.  But note that one part of that entry is now wrong:
currently the installer doesn't do anything about default action on q(),
as I reverted that change (and have just fixed the CHANGES message).

Hopefully we'll work out something to do with saving/restoring
workspaces before too long.

Duncan Murdoch