[Rd] Linux/MacOSX and "X11 protocol error: BadWindow..." warnings

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 00:03:32 CEST 2006

This concerns behaviour which has been noted previously, for
example see

 http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/03/0844.html
 http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/03b/6873.html

and especially the thread

 http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/08/3025.html

I find that it affects both my Linux and Mac OS X setups.
It is a feature which has caused some (at least John Fox in
the Rcmdr package) to make special moves to catch the
warnings and hide them from users.

In an effort to pin it down, outside of Rcmdr or any
packages other than tcltk itself, I came up with a simple
reproducible example.  Essentially, the sequence that gives
the warnings is
  tktoplevel()
[then close the Tk window using the window controls]
  X11()
  tktoplevel()
[then close the Tk window using the wondow controls]

Closing the second Tk window is the act that seems to
provoke the warnings (see the two session transcripts
below).  The number of warnings is different on my two
systems, but I don't know whather that's to do with OS, or
X11, or the two different versions of R, or what.

Without the call to X11(), I do not get the warnings.  And
the call to X11() seemingly needs to come *after* the first
tktoplevel() call in order for the warnings to be
generated.

Unfortunately I do not have access to other systems on which
to test this, or the necessary knowledge of X11, Tk etc to
be able to debug it.  I am noting it here only in the hope
that it might be useful to someone else on R-devel who is
better placed to identify the likely cause(s).

best wishes,
David
--
Professor David Firth
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/dfirth

********* On Linux (SUSE 10.0) with R 2.3.1 ********
********* and xorg-x11 version 6.8.2-100    ********
david at blackbox2:~> R --vanilla

R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical
Computing
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> options(warn = 1)
> library(tcltk)
> tktoplevel()
$ID
[1] ".1"

$env
<environment: 0x899ba30>

attr(,"class")
[1] "tkwin"
##  Now close the Tk window using window controls
> X11()
> tktoplevel()
$ID
[1] ".2"

$env
<environment: 0x86f8ff4>

attr(,"class")
[1] "tkwin"
##  Now close the Tk window using window controls
> Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)

> version
               _
platform       i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i686
os             linux-gnu
system         i686, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          06
day            01
svn rev        38247
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)

********* On Mac OS 10.4, using R 2.2.0 ********
david% R --vanilla

R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical
Computing
Version 2.2.0  (2005-10-06 r35749)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> options(warn=1)
> library(tcltk)
> tktoplevel()
$ID
[1] ".1"

$env
<environment: 0x28d2578>

attr(,"class")
[1] "tkwin"
##  Now close the Tk window using window controls
> X11()
> tktoplevel()
$ID
[1] ".2"

$env
<environment: 0x28f2a78>

attr(,"class")
[1] "tkwin"
##  Now close the Tk window using window controls
> Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window
parameter)

> version
         _
platform powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0