[Rd] documentation bug as S-Plus catches up (PR#8933)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 3 11:51:53 CEST 2006

    RMH> # R for Windows will not send your bug report
    RMH> automatically.  # Please copy the bug report (after
    RMH> finishing it) to # your favorite email program and send
    RMH> it to # # r-bugs at r-project.org #
    RMH> ######################################################

    RMH> The R documentation for "is.R" says "## 'which()' only
    RMH> exists in R:" This is no longer true.  In S-Plus 8.0

    >> version
    RMH> Enterprise Developer Version 8.0.1 Beta 1 for Microsoft
    RMH> Windows : 2006

    RMH> both "is.R" and "which" are defined in the splus
    RMH> directory.

Thank you, Rich, for the update.

Note however that this is a *beta* version of S-plus,
that I'd guess 95--99.5% of S-plus users are *not* using currently.
Here, ETH has been paying a site licence for S-plus for many
years, but we haven't been able to even use S-plus 7.x, because
of problems that seem to make it impossible that the ETH-central licence server
can continued to be used for S+7 (given the current IT
infrastructure & staff).

    RMH> Now that coordination with R, including use of the
    RMH> package system, is one of the Insightful goals, I hope
    RMH> someone in R-core will be monitoring these changes.
[who were you hoping for ? ;-)]

    RMH> Let me know if you want me to post these types of
    RMH> things in the future.  I won't unless specically
    RMH> requested.

I'd say we are thankful if you continue to do so,
to R-devel typically rather than R-bugs,
particularly in border cases like the current one.

Martin