[Rd] Editing a package with a NAMESPACE in place

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Jun 6 14:27:48 CEST 2006

I would like to edit a function from a package that uses a NAMESPACE, but in
place (after the package is loaded).  As a simple example, I would like to
add a browser() call to a line in one of the functions for debugging
purposes.  Since the function is in the package namespace, I can't do that
directly by simply making a copy of the function and editing it--that copy
doesn't get used.  I tried assigning into the package environment, but it is
locked, it appears.  How do I go about doing this without changing the
package source, then reinstalling and reloading?

Thanks,
Sean