[Rd] Building R package: make pdf & _masked_by_GlobalEnv

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jun 13 04:23:36 CEST 2006

On 6/12/2006 9:47 PM, Dan Rabosky wrote:
> Hi....
>
> I am assembling an R package (under Windows XP, R v.2.3) and have a very
> basic question.  Running R CMD build does not generate a pdf.  R CMD check
> generates a .dvi, but I cannot figure out how to automatically create the
> pdf.  I thought from reading the "writing r extensions' manual that R CMD
> build was supposed to generate the pdf.  I am having no success using
> various permutations of the Rd2dvi and texi2dvi, and I'm a bit
> frustrated.  I have miktex 2.4, which should (I thought) have the necessary
> pdftex tools to do this.  Maybe it does; I definitely have various
> directories named 'dvipdfm', 'pdftex', etc on my computer, but I have no
> idea whether there might be a problem.

You need to give a bit more detail.  What is the .pdf being created
from?  What do things look like when you run a build?  Does install work?

> When I install the package, I receive the message that most of my functions
> are "masked _by_ .GlobalEnv".  I have no idea what this means; I'm sure
> that this is amply documented, but I confess that I have a rather difficult
> time with much of the documentation on writing packages.

This means that you have variables in your workspace with the same names
as ones in your package.  You probably want to clean out your workspace,
because most uses will find those versions before the ones in the
package -- and that really messes up testing, etc.

Duncan Murdoch