[Rd] R-2.3.1 does not install on FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE (PR#8971)

Kenji Rikitake kenji.rikitake at acm.org
Tue Jun 13 08:49:10 CEST 2006

In the message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0606130719520.24883 at gannet.stats.ox.ac.uk>
dated Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:25:01AM +0100,
Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> __va_copy is supposed to exist on that compiler, and the R code maps
> __va_copy to va_copy when the first exists and the second does not.

Unfortunately configure did not find the __va_copy either.
It says in the config.log:

configure:31136: checking whether __va_copy exists and is declared
configure:31169: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -I/usr/local/include
  -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lm  >&5
conftest.c: In function `main':
conftest.c:115: `__va_copy' undeclared (first use in this function)
conftest.c:115: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
conftest.c:115: for each function it appears in.)
configure:31175: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
[rest deleted]

This seems to be well-known, regarding the Google search results of "FreeBSD va_copy".

> You need to set umask when you unpack and build, not just when you
> install.

OK I will do that.

> >All I know is that in FreeBSD ports math/R and on 4.x, --disable-mbcs
> >had been required to get around with the broken MBCS library handling of
> >FreeBSD.  So I followed the convention.
>
> Ah, `convention' rather than default (R's configure does not set it).

Sorry for being ambiguous on this.

Many thanks again,

// Kenji Rikitake