[Rd] building a libR.a for BlueGene/L

Sean Hill sean.hill at epfl.ch
Mon Jun 19 10:12:18 CEST 2006

We would like to compile a minimal R library that could be linked
into an application that will be run on a BlueGene/L system with
8,192 processors. This is a system that requires no shared libraries,
no graphical interface, must be single threaded, and will be cross-
compiled.  I would statically link the code for the packages we require.

 From looking through the code, it seems like it should be possible
to build such a version.  However, it would be invaluable to have the
advice and aid of the people who truly know this software.

Thus far, I have configured the build to use the appropriate
compilers.  I had to tell configure that it was crosscompiling by
editing the config.site file (it didn't recognize that it was).
However, I am currently hitting a roadblock with configure failing
with the report:
WARNING: blrts_xlf and blrts_xlc disagree on int and double
configure: error: Maybe change CFLAGS or FFLAGS

The last lines in config.log are:
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void exit (int) throw ();

configure: exit 1