[Rd] Documentation issues [Was: Function hints]

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jun 20 12:58:14 CEST 2006

On 6/20/2006 5:18 AM, Heather Turner wrote:
> I would like to follow up on another one of the documentation issues raised in the discussion on function hints. Duncan mentioned that the R core were working on preprocessing directives for .Rd files, which could possibly include some sort of include directive. I was wondering if a "includeexamples" directive might also be considered.
>
> It often makes sense to use the same example to illustrate the use of different functions, or perhaps extend an example used to illustrate one function to illustrate another. One way to do this is simply to put
>
> example(fnA)
>
> in the \examples for fnB, but this is not particularly helpful for people reading the help pages as they either need to look at both help pages or run the example. The alternative is to maintain multiple copies of the same code, which is not ideal.
>
> So it would be useful to be able to put
>
> \includeexamples(fnA)
>
> so that the code is replicated in fnB.Rd. Perhaps an include directive could do this anyway, but it might be useful to have a special directive for examples so that RCMD check is set up to only check the original example to save time (and unnecessary effort).

Thanks, that's a good suggestion.  My inclination would be towards just
one type of \include; it could be surrounded by notation saying not to
check it in all but one instance if the author wanted to save testing time.

> On a related issue, it would be nice if source() had an option to print comments contained in the source file, so that example() and demo() could print out annotation.

Yes, this has been a long-standing need, but it's somewhat tricky
because of the way source currently works:  it parses the whole file,
then executes the parsed version.  The first step loses the comments, so
you see a deparsed version when executing.  What I think it should do is
have pointers back from the parsed version to the original source code,
but that needs fairly low level changes.  This is some of the missing
"infrastructure" I mentioned below.

Duncan Murdoch