[Rd] loading library from network share (PR#8982)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 10:57:44 CEST 2006

This is not supported: network shares are a Windows 'feature' and not part
of R's conception of file paths.  The specific issue here is dirname(),
but it is widespread.

You can always map shares to network drives, and that is common practice
everywhere I have been which has extensive Windows networks.

We have changed the dirname case, but have no intention of supporting this
sort of file path in general, as one of the design goals of the Windows
port of R was to work as similarly to the Unix-alikes as possible (and to
share as much code as possible).