[Rd] FC5 32-bit vs 64-bit

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 08:45:58 CEST 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Jeff Barrett wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a biostats student and a newbie to R.  I have a question about
> 32-bit vs. 64-bit.
> I am running FC5 on a AMD 3800+ with 2GB Ram.  With 64-bit, I am
> running into some issues the stability of FC5.  A friend suggested I
> ditch the 64-bit version of FC5 for the 32-bit.  I do not currently
> have any pressing needs for the capabilities of the 64-bit OS. Before
> I reinstall the 32-bit FC5, I want to know the specific effects on R.
>
> I see plenty of articles on 32-bit vs. 64-bit in general, but does
> anyone have any real comparisons of 32 vs. 64 bit using R?

There are some in the R-admin manual.  If you don't need the address
space, we recommend a 32-bit build on x86_64 (and tell you how to make
one).

Many of us have been running R in 64-bit (and 32-bit) on x86_64 for a long
time with no problems: that includes (more recently) on FC5.  If you are
seeing instability I would be looking elsewhere (e.g. hardware and
drivers).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk