[Rd] Ops.Date: promote characters to Dates?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 15:19:13 CEST 2006

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Ben Bolker wrote:

>    Believe it or not, it works either way: I haven't fully
> figured out the logic yet (except to note that I had the
> logic reversed below):

This is as documented (White Book p.473, referenced on the help page for
'Ops').  [Surely part of the homework that the posting guide asks for.]

I have recently been expanding the help pages for group generics (and
trying to remove some of the confusion caused by adding S4 group generics
to the page for S3 group generics).  This now says (about S3 group
generics only)

         2.  Group '"Ops"':

            *  '"+"', '"-"', '"*"', '"/"', '"^"', '"%%"', '"%/%"'

            *  '"&"', '"|"', '"!"'

            *  '"=="', '"!="', '"<"', '"<="', '">="', '">"'

         The classes of both arguments are considered in dispatching.
         If a method is found for just one or the same method is found
         for both, it is used.  If different methods are found, there is
         a warning about 'incompatible methods': in that case or if no
         method is found for either argument the default method is used.

> Ops.Date  <- function (e1, e2)
>  {
>    if (nargs() == 1)
>         stop("unary ", .Generic, " not defined for Date objects")
>     boolean <- switch(.Generic, "<" = , ">" = , "==" = , "!=" = ,
>         "<=" = , ">=" = TRUE, FALSE)
>     if (!boolean)
>         stop(.Generic, " not defined for Date objects")
>     if (nchar(e1)) e1 <- as.Date(e1)
>     if (nchar(e2)) e2 <- as.Date(e2)
>     NextMethod(.Generic)
> }

Eh?  nchar is non-zero for almost all objects to be passed through here,
including any coercible to Date.  (Remember nchar will itself coerce to
character.)  And nchar(e1) will be a vector, not a scalar: perhaps
is.character(e1) was what was intended?

I believe the issue is more general: naive users (those who confuse an
object with its printed representation) expect to be able to compare
classed objects to character strings, and for the classed objects to be
converted by as.character() when doing so.  That is not what is done:
coerceVector(x, STRSXP) is used internally.  At some point we need to
consider changing that, but it is not easy as method dispatch depends on
the environment, something that is often not known when coerceVector is
invoked.

> datechar1 = "1999-12-03"
> datechar2 = "2000-12-07"
> date1 = as.Date(datechar1)
> date2 = as.Date(datechar2)
>
> date1 == datechar1
> datechar1 == date1
>
> datechar1 < date2
> date2 > datechar1
>
>    I also propose
>
> as.Date.numeric <- function(x, ...) {
>    class(x) <- "Date"
> }
>
>   this takes a number of seconds since 1970 and
> converts it into a Date object ...

That it would not do so is further evidence of the good reasons for not
providing such a method for people to misinterpret.  (It would be the
number of days since 1970-01-01, but probably one would want to take
floor() of a number here.)

>    cheers
>      Ben
>

> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> Note that the first argument still cannot be character
>> since Ops.Date won't get dispatched in that case.
>>
>> On 6/24/06, Ben Bolker <bolker at ufl.edu> wrote:
>>>  Ops.Date  <- function (e1, e2)
>>> {
>>>    if (nargs() == 1)
>>>        stop("unary ", .Generic, " not defined for Date objects")
>>>    boolean <- switch(.Generic, "<" = , ">" = , "==" = , "!=" = ,
>>>        "<=" = , ">=" = TRUE, FALSE)
>>>    if (!boolean)
>>>        stop(.Generic, " not defined for Date objects")
>>> +    if (!nchar(e1)) e1 <- as.Date(e1)
>>> +    if (!nchar(e2)) e2 <- as.Date(e2)
>>>    NextMethod(.Generic)
>>> }
>>>
>>>  adding the above two lines to Ops.Date makes, e.g.
>>>
>>> as.Date("1999-12-13") == "1999-06-14"
>>>
>>> behave as "expected".

Depends who is doing the expecting ....