[Rd] [R] assign / environment side effect on R 2.4.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 28 11:12:08 CEST 2006

That is quite a different point, and nothing to do with 'R 2.4.0' or any
recent version of R.  The example

envfun <- function(L) {
   p <- parent.frame()
   assign("test", L$test, p)
   environment(p$test) <- p
}
solver <- function(L) envfun(L)
L <- list(test = function() 1 + 2)

environment(L$test)
solver(L)
(e <- environment(L$test))
stopifnot(identical(e, .GlobalEnv))

fails in 2.2.1 (as Thomas had already said) and indeed in much earlier
versions of R (e.g. 2.0.0).

As a glance at the code would have shown, environment<- was written
without any regard for NAMED bits, and so changes the environment on all
copies of the function.  This may well have been intentional (and seems to
have been the same in the orginal CVS version in 1997), but I have altered
it for 2.4.0.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> "Gabor Grothendieck" <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have moved this discussion to r-devel.
>>
>> The example of the poster suggests that the functionality as implemented
>> so far in the upcoming 2.4.0 is at this point not correct and needs to
>> be fixed prior to release.

[Given that we had already been told the side effect existed in 2.2.1,
this was a careless analysis.]