[Rd] inconsistent matplot behaviour?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 30 17:32:21 CEST 2006

    Joerg> I raised this question quite some time ago but it quitly went down the
    Joerg> river. I'll give it a second try (before keeping my modified version of
    Joerg> matplot for ever...):

    Joerg> matplot supports vectors (and/or character strings) for a number of
    Joerg> arguments namely `type', `lty', `lwd', `pch', `col', `cex'. all of them
    Joerg> act consistently in such a way that the first entries are used for plot
    Joerg> of x-column 1 vs. y-column 1 and so forth.

    Joerg> for some reason `bg' is missing from this list (maybe simplyh
    Joerg> forgotten?).

It maybe that matplot() predates the "color fillable"
symbols,  or then the author of R's version of matplot just forgot...

    Joerg> forgotten?). this causes an, according to my mind, at least, undesirable
    Joerg> (inconsistent) behaviour in calls like

    Joerg> matplot(x, y, type = 'b', pch = 21:23, col = 2:4, bg = 2:4)

    Joerg> (assuming x, y are 3-column matrices)

    Joerg> `col', `pch' and the other explicit arguments are interpreted on a 'per
    Joerg> plot' basis whereas `bg' is transferred to plot.default and is therefore
    Joerg> interpreted on a 'per point' basis. thus, `col' above sets the colors of
    Joerg> the plotting symbols in the different line plots (say, column 1 to 3)
    Joerg> whereas `bg' sets the colors alternating down each column of the data,
    Joerg> i.e. within each  line plot.

    Joerg> question: would'nt it be desirable and more consistent/intuitive if `bg'
    Joerg> where treated on the same footing as the other explicit parameters,
    Joerg> especially if combinations of `pch>=21' and `bg' are envisaged?

    Joerg> necessary changes to matplot are trivial:

Hmm: Your patch is *not* against  matplot.R  from the R sources,
hence is not directly applicable at all.

Also,  it does need  patches for the help file.

But, the R-devel (aka 2.4.0-to-be) will have the desired feature
as from tomorrow.

Thank you for the suggestion,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich