[Rd] stopifnot() suggestion

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 2 08:43:56 CET 2006

    BDR> stopifnot() is not intended for use by end-users, but for tests in
    BDR> packages.

and additionally for  "function writers"  aka 'programmeRs'.
I think we have argued that R has stopifnot() where other
programming languages use  assert().
It can be very convenient to have one compact

   stopifnot( condition_A,  condition_B,  condition_C)

statement at the beginning of your function instead of
potentially much more verbose

   if(!condition_A)
       stop("bla A bla A bla bla")
   if(!condition_B)
       stop("bla B bla B bla bla")
   if(!condition_C)
       stop("bla C bla C bla bla")

where the latter *would* produce more understandable error
messages but need much more programmer's time.

    BDR> If the writers of package tests are not aware of the perils of
    BDR> using == or != with numbers, then it is good that they get reminded.

    BDR> And we do have isTRUE for use with it.

indeed!

I still don't see why Dan's original proposition shouldn't be
considered for adaption.
One of the most valid (IMO) complaints about S and R have been the
``uncomprehensible error messages'' that people see occasionally.
[[Though, sometimes the error message is well understandable
  and it's just the user's lazyness to *read* and *think* .. ]]

An extra is.na() check in a stopifnot() in order to produce a
much better message seems to me well worth.

Martin