[Rd] R does not have friendly GUI (PR#8656)

t u towsonu2003 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 19:18:29 CET 2006

On 3/4/06, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 4 March 2006 at 11:20, Romain Francois wrote:
> | Le 04.03.2006 09:18, towsonu2003 at gmail.com a écrit :
> | > Full_Name:
> | > Version: 2.1.1
> | > OS: Linux (Ubuntu 5.10)
> | > Submission from: (NULL) (136.160.174.71)
> | >
> | > R does not have a friendly gui from where all functions can be accessed by
> | > "point-and-click". Existing one I could try (tk) is too simple.
> | >
> | > The friendly gui should also include a spreadsheet-like data-viewer as well as a
> | > data-output (exportable tables) and a graphics-output modules (the latter
> | > already exits).
>
> $ apt-get install r-cran-rcmdr
> $ R
> $ > library(Rcmdr)
>
> is pretty close.
>
> | Do you also want to be able to type :
> | PROC UNIVARIATE ....
> | in R ?
>
> Exactly -- and I am missing the feature where R is doing my home work for me.
> The sequence
>
>         > library(timemachine)
>         > timemachineGo(highschool)
>         > timemachineDo(getBetterMarks)
>
> fails. Any idea why?
>
> | What you described is *so* not a bug. You have not tried hard enough.
>
> Well put, Romain!
>
> Regards, Dirk
>
> --
> Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
>                                                   -- Thomas A. Edison

As per your signature, "there are no rules here - we're trying to
accomplish something". I agree with you in "You have not tried hard
enough" and specially thank Mr Eddelbuettel for Rcmdr suggestion. It
is similar to my request in the bug report.

>         > library(timemachine)
>         > timemachineGo(highschool)
>         > timemachineDo(getBetterMarks)
>
> fails. Any idea why?

as you mentioned, sudo apt-get r-cran-foreigntime.

Thanks,

Sincerely.