[Rd] Bug or Feature in Rcmd build workaround workaround for paths in Cygwin tar

Michael Hoehle michael.hoehle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 13:43:00 CET 2006

To R-devel,

I am currently writing a package with R 2.2.1 under Windows using
cygwin and the recommended Rtools. Physically my package ist hosted on
the Drive z: .

When I call Rcmd.exe build –-binary for my package I have a problem
with the "build" script in $R_HOME/bin/. Starting on line 226 the code
is as follows:

if($WINDOWS) {
	## workaround for paths in Cygwin tar
	$filepath =~ s+^([A-Za-x]):+/cygdrive/\1+;
}

Is there a particular reason that only lower case letter from a-x are
handled? As my drive is z:  I would like the workaround to work for
lower case letters a-z.

Best regards,

Michael Höhle