[Rd] Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines...

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 7 09:20:07 CET 2006

    Duncan> On 3/6/2006 4:09 PM, Tim Brown wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I know this is a long shot but I just wanted to throw it
    >> out there.  I have lately been using R a lot and have
    >> found that it is basically impossible to find any code
    >> help or answers via google searching because the name "R"
    >> is simply not explicit enough.

    Duncan> That hasn't been my experience.  Could you post some
    Duncan> examples of your searches?

    Duncan> For example, "find length of array in R" turns up
    Duncan> R-specific answers in 4th and 9th positions on the
    Duncan> first page of results.  Using "find length of array,
    Duncan> R Project" turns up 6 out of 10 hits referencing R.

in which google?  The one in the US, in Europe, in China, or ... ?

As we probably all know the censorship differs from place to
place .. and it seems one has no way to circumvent
Big-Brother Google's decisions anymore.

Sorry, but I couldn't refrain; I had been very disappointed by these news.

Martin Maechler