[Rd] Running R on dual/quad Opteron machines

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 10:15:53 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Simone Giannerini wrote:

> Ok thanks, I am wondering whether running multiple instances of R
> would be possible without problems in presence of compiled code
> (shared libraries).
> Intuitively, while there can be multiple instances of R, all of them
> would be using the same library, but I am just guessing, I might do a
> check on this.

That's what the `shared library' means.  The common parts (e.g. code and
static data) are shared, but the data areas are not.

Different processes run in different address spaces, and modern OSes are
careful only to give a user process write access to its own address space.

Many of us have servers running multiple copies of R at almost all times.
I typically run R tests with four copies running on a dual-CPU Opteron,
that being about the minimum number needed to get 100% CPU usage since I/O
is also being done.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk