[Rd] Build directory path saved in Meta/hsearch.rds

José Matos jaomatos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 11:24:11 CET 2006

On 04/03/06, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> I've made two changes for R 2.3.0
>
> 1) as the LibPath is not actually used, it is recorded as "".  (For
> compatibility we don't want to remove the field.)  Since it was returned
> but not printed by help.search(), the actual installed path is returned
> instead.  (Given that the return format of help.search is undocumented, I
> don't see how anyone could have made use of it without realizing it was
> subject to guesswork and to change.)
>
> 2) hsearch.rds could usefully be stored in compressed format, and so will
> be.

  I would like to thank you and Dirk for your answers (and Peter
Daalgard FWIW :-).

My concern was that R could use that path in some way.

Usually this is not a problem because as Brian clearly told that path
will be inexistent, the problem would exist if this temporary path
could be exploited maliciously to inject code into R. I hope that
these concerns don't sound too far fetched since sometimes the
temporary directories are world writable.

  Thank you for the change, I am glad to see that this will be
addressed for 2.3.

  Best regards,
--
José Abílio