[Rd] Wishlist: Creating horizontal PDFs

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 9 09:21:45 CET 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Kevin Wright wrote:

> It would be nice to easily create horizontal PDF files for standard paper
> sizes.  For example:
> pdf(file, paper="default", horizontal=TRUE)
>
> Currently (R 2.2.1) there is no 'horizontal' argument for the PDF driver.
> It looks like the only way to create a horizontal PDF is to manually specify
> width and height.  For example:
> pdf(file, width=11, height=8.5)
>
> Does this feature look useful?  If so, I may someday try to make the changes
> (I rarely have the ability to build R).
>
> If anyone else wants to make the change, the code for the PDF driver appears
> to be in R-devel/src/library/grDevices/src/devPS.c
>
> The changes should not be hard.  FYI...there is a 'horizontal' option for
> the postscript driver.

They may be harder than you think, as PS is a more powerful language than
PDF.

I don't see the point here.  Postscript files have an orientation (in the
DSC comments), and PDF files do not.  For postscript just swapping width
and height is not enough, for pdf it might be.  If you want to do just
that, why not write your own wrapper to pdf?  However, note that viewers
may well decide on the orientation automatically or via
user-specification, so there is no way I know of to make PDFs that will
print/display in particular orientations.  Again unlike postscript, PDF is
not designed to be sent directly to a printer.

> Kevin Wright
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Time to read the posting guide ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk