[Rd] problem building R-patched on x86-64 with PGI 6.1

Jennifer Lai lai at lindaspaces.com
Mon Mar 13 19:56:20 CET 2006

Jennifer Lai wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>

>>> As those of you who saw my post on R-help know, I've been trying to
>>> build
>>> R-patched on a dual Opteron box running Scyld Beowulf, using the PGI
>>> 6.1
>>> compilers.  The build went fine, but I couldn't get it to pass make
>>> check-all.  Jennifer Lai, who reported success with PGI 6.0 previously,
>>> seems to have the same problem with 6.1.  Here are the particulars:
>>>
>>> Since R requires IEEE754 conformance, the flag to use for PGI is
>>> -Kieee.
>>> (BTW, configure still insist on sticking in -mieee-fp, which
>>> generates a
>>> warning.)  With that flag, the build runs into trouble with the first
>>> example in ?optim.  Running it by hand gives me:
>>

>> Well, configure insists on doing so because we were told it was correct.
>> (Will change.)  Is -Kieee always correct for PG?
>> Looking at
>>
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/dwamd_PGI_nov603.pdf
>>

>> suggests you might want to try -pc64 -Kieee.
>>
> Thanks, Prof. Ripley! The optim example pass the sanity check with
> -pc64 -Kieee flag.
> "make check" now fails at reg-tests-1.R

Actually the -pc64 didn't help. I forgot that at some point my
environment was configured to pick up PGI 6.0 compiler instead of PGI
6.1 (for testing purpose).
The optim example compiled with PGI 6.0, but not PGI 6.1.

Sorry for the confusion.

- Jennifer